News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Match Report: Waltham Abbey 2-0 Kidlington FC

Match Report: Waltham Abbey 2-0 Kidlington FC

Charlie Bell3 Feb - 21:33
Share via

A mediocre Kidlington are defeated by Waltham Abbey.

The last time these two sides met was nothing but chaotic: three penalties, a monumental amount of yellow cards given out and a last gasp equaliser saw Kidlington draw 3-3 with Waltham Abbey at Yarnton Road, back in November.

This time round saw goals at both ends of the match which marched the Abbotts on to take all 3 points, beating a vague Kidlington side 2-0.

A very stretched Kiddy faced an out of form Waltham Abbey side, who gained just 4 points from a possible 15. Zarius Edwards was placed into left back, and a last minute swap following an injured Owen James in the warm-up meant Debutant Tom Payne stepped up and started, Kidlington were left with just two substitutions with the whole 90 yet to be played.

With all that in mind, Abbey used this to their advantage and were able to accelerate in the match before Kidlington could get going, who found themselves a goal up inside 4 minutes. Zarius Edwards looked to shield the ball out of play following a ball over the top, only for Benjamin Baker to knick it off him at the byline and swing a deep cross into the back post.

A cushioned header gave Jason Hallett no other option but to poke it home from close range, poor defending you could say, not that Hallet cared, as he gave the home side an early lead; 1-0.

From this point on, it was a fairly even encounter for the remainder of the half. Kidlington lacked a lot of desire in the final third and just 1 league goal scored in the previous 4 affairs helps prove there is work to be done during this important stage of the season.

George Cowmeadow was the first in a Red shirt to test the keeper, Felipe Barcelos also had a chance to level matters 10 minutes later but both were collected calmly from the man between the sticks, Bradley Robinson.

Both sides would be unhappy with how the first interval panned out, Abbey felt they should’ve made the net bulge a couple more times despite being one up with Baker continuing to ask questions on one wing, and Prince Domafriyie on the other. For Kidlington however, not being able to test the keeper enough seemed to be the problem.

The second half saw the story continue to tell the same tale, Piers Walton had an early penalty appeal swiftly waved away by the Referee however.

On a day in which Kidlington only had 2 substitutions, it really wasn't their day with minor injuries. The game must’ve been stopped a handful of times due to this, but the Management Team will be thankful none of those turned out to be critical.

Despite another norm effort from Barcelos with 20 to play, Kidlington didn’t have a sniff on goal in the second half, and so it was all down to Waltham Abbey to settle the home fans’ nerves and help kill the game off.

To Abbey’s benefit, Benjamin Baker sealed the deal with barely a minute to play. A counter attack from the homeside following a final corner from Kidlington to try and snatch something from the game left them open at the back. Domafriyie found himself in behind and was able to get the ball over into the mixer, and Baker was there to stab home the all important second goal, similar to the first goal. The killer for Kidlington.

The Green’s travelled home with nothing to show for it, making next weekend’s welcome of Aylesbury United to Yarnton Road a real 6 pointer.

KIDLINGTON FC: Hopwood, Jenkins, Edwards (Wells 69’), Bailey, Smith ©, Richards, Walton, Gardner, Barcelos, Payne (Allen 79’), Cowmeadow.

Further reading