News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Kidlington leave Bedfordshire with nothing to show for it.

Kidlington leave Bedfordshire with nothing to show for it.

Charlie Bell18 Feb - 12:10
Share via

Two second half goals from The OD's in the space of nine minutes deflated a 10-man Kidlington, as they travelled back to Oxfordshire empty handed.

A real frustrating affair if you were in a red shirt yesterday as chances came thick and fast, but the story of the season continued, they just couldn’t find the back of the net.

Kidlington came into this fixture with some momentum behind them with three clean sheets in their last four games. The last time these two sides met, AFC Dunstable came out as winners after coming from behind to win 2-3 and steal all 3 points at Yarnton Road back in November.

This game began with a moment of madness when goalkeeper Jack Hopwood ventured off his line, in hope of picking up a loose ball but was unable to do so. To his fortune though, he was able to pace back to his line before AFC found a way through and Hopwood was able to scramble up a low soft shot on goal.

The game soon calmed down after that, but Kidlington had more of the ball in the final third. Ferguson and Gardner both had a sniff on goal early on but neither could force the net to bulge.

Sam Jenkins also had a chance with 13' on the clock to open the scoring but was unable to keep his header down at the back post following another pristine cross from Jack Gardner.

Arguably the biggest chance of the half occurred when Kidlington had their first back-to-back corners. Both were huge goalmouth scrambles and were asking for someone to launch their foot through the ball in hope of breaking the deadlock, but once again AFC cleared their lines and Kidlington simply wasn't clinical enough.

Kidlington were forced into a halftime swap when Zarius Edwards replaced an ill Jack Smith who was unable to continue, but neither was Edwards when the substitute saw a straight red after with 20 minutes to go. Too tricky to see if the Referee made the right call with that one, but definitely a strong yellow.

AFC found a way through after a lack of concentration from Kiddy meant Rocco Tamplin was able to reach the highest and meet a cross 15 yards out, and see it bundle into the corner. Sam Bailey got onto the wrong side of Tamplin to help the winger latch onto the cross and head The OD’s into a 1-0 lead.

Just 9 minutes later, AFC doubled their lead and left Kidlington a mountain to climb. Ethan Holt gave the home side some breathing space, giving his team a well deserved two goal lead.

The final bit of action came with 79 minutes on the clock when substitute Owen James bursted through the AFC backline and was brought down at least two yards inside the 18 yard box. The Referee however, had other plans and gave a freekick to Kidlington on the edge of the box. Connor Ferguson took it, but could only see it gaze over the bar.

KIDLINGTON: Hopwood, M Smith, Bailey, Jenkins, J Smith (Edwards 45’), Richards, Walton, Barcelos (James 73’), Ferguson, Bessasa-Grant (Cowmeadow 67’)

Att: 136

Further reading